15 June 2011

there is no one alive who is youer than you

"and then i felt sad because i realized that once people are broken in certain ways, they can't ever be fixed, and this is something nobody ever tells you when you are young and it never fails to surprise you as you grow older as you see the people in your life break one by one. you wonder when your turn is going to be, or if it's already happened. "

- douglas coupland

it’s pete’s birthday today. this morning he sent me an email with a link to a newspaper article about van halen. it’s an odd thing to send me. i’ve never liked van halen. ever. but i like it that pete never stops wanting me to like them. or at least listen to them. i like it that he always wants me to sign up to lovefilm or eat granary bread or watch madmen or whatever it is that he likes doing that i don’t like doing. i think it’s nice when someone wants you to like something they like. i don’t think it’s because they particularly want to see you enjoying it. if i did end up liking van halen it’s unlikely that we'd spend any time together listening to them. no. i think it’s more just a way of reaching out for understanding. it's like how i want all my friends to watch buffy the vampire slayer, because if they watched it they would understand me a little bit more. sometimes the only way to know someone is through the things that mean something to them. and as i was reading about van halen this morning, i did think about getting hold of the first few albums. i should at least try i suppose. i might not like van halen, but that’s not important sometimes. sometimes it’s just nice to understand someone a little bit more for liking the things they do.

happy birthday to him.

x

Comments

Cute

Posted by: Chris | 16 June 2011

I loved watching Buffy - maybe that's why I love your music!

Posted by: C | 16 June 2011

I really like the article that you mentioned, because it adds another value

Posted by: Andy | 23 June 2011

Belated happy birthday Pette

Posted by: Abdty | 01 July 2011

WOW! really very cute "Belated happy birthday". Amazing experience.....

thanks to share..
Chester Wilson
LeatherIcon

Posted by: Leather Coat | 13 July 2011

first, it makes me happy to see that you've written something here again. i really like to read your blog, and it's sad when i come here and for a long while don't see anything new... i even stopped coming for a while too... when you don't write i start wondering how you're doing, if you're still writing and recording your songs and all, if you're happy about it... i do hope you are.
and well, i absolutely agree. your songs are an example of something i show people when i become friends with them. even if they don't like to listen to them that much, it's definetely a way of saying much about myself. understanding. it seems that so often people don't even bother trying to understand others.
a very late happy birthday to peter. and all the best to you. all the best, really.

Posted by: pedro muniz | 22 July 2011

Thanks for sharing mate :D

Posted by: generator service | 31 July 2011

Great work. This article is very educational and interesting for me. Thanks for the info, keep it up!

Posted by: Sildenafil | 08 November 2011