02 January 2010
hopefully happy new year
"you touched me and then you ran
and left some sad peter pan
all alone and awkward
but a transformation, i swear it will occur"
- vic chesnutt
i haven't written in months. i know i should've, but i just didn't feel like writing anything. sometimes it just doesn't seem important when it's balanced up against other things. there are things i just don't want to write about and sometimes those things are the only things going on in my life. sorry. i'm here now though. and i'm listening to little by vic chesnutt while i'm writing this. such a beautiful album and so sad to hear about him dying over christmas.
i haven't done much that i want to write about, but i did buy a new notebook in november. which might not sound that exciting, but for me it is. i've even decided to try writing in a different sort of notebook. as i'm sure everyone knows, in the past i've always written in a europa a5 notemaker, feint ruled, 60 leaves microperfed for easy removal. using various different colours depending on what i was working on. but i ran out of colours and i was getting confused. so i've decided to try writing in just a plain black moleskine one. like the sort that was used by van gogh and hemingway and that bruce chatwin wrote about. i think i was hoping it might make me more a bit more literate. anyway, i've started writing words for the new album and the only real difference i can see so far is that my handwriting seems to be slightly neater. i'm excited about writing for the new album though. and the new notebook.
i've put together my top ten albums of last year. pete hasn't finished his yet, but hopefully his list can be an unexpected surprise in the summer.
anyway. here's my top ten favourite albums of last year.
1. the lovely eggs - if you were fruit
2. the pastels / tenniscoats - two sunsets
3. let's wrestle - in the court of the wrestling lets
4. pains of being pure at heart - pains of being pure at heart
5. bill callahan - sometimes i wish we were an eagle
6. bill wells and maher shalal hash baz - gok
7. camera obscura - my maudlin career
8. major lazer - guns don't kill people... lazers do
9. yeah yeah yeahs - it's blitz
10. ghostface killah - ghostdini wizard of poetry in emerald city
no big surprises in there i suppose. and here are my top ten favourite singles of last year.
1. fists - cockatoo
2. betty and the werewolves - david cassidy
3. magic kids - hey boy
4. girls - lust for life
5. the voluntary butler scheme - trading things in
6. karen o and the kids - all is love
7. girls at dawn - never enough
8. christmas island - nineteen
9. cheryl cole - fight for this love
10. we show up on radar - mountain top
my favourite reissue for anyone that's interested was enter the vaselines. oh and foxbase beta and all those kraftwerk reissues. they were great too.
and that's pretty much it. it ended up being a funny year. it was nice to put a record out again though. i hope it was worth a little bit of the wait. there should be one this year too. but we've said that before. anyway, whatever happens, it's nice to be back.
happy new year everyday
"every little thing is temporary
if i stay here any longer i'll end up very very scary"
- vic chesnutt